A Glimpse Into My Life....

Blogging is a great way to keep people informed about what's going on in your life. It’s a central place that you can share information with several people at once instead of composing multiple emails or making numerous phone calls. That’s why I’ve entitled my blog “A Glimpse Into My Life…”. Those of you who have been invited to read my blog, please know that I want you to be a part of my life. Hopefully, this blog will enable me to stay in closer contact with the people that I love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Carl Junction, Missouri

I was born and raised in Chile, South America. My parents moved back to Joplin, MO my senior year of high school. I've lived in the Joplin area my entire adult life so Joplin is beginning to feel more like home, but it's really not home! I married my husband, Steve, in August of 1998. We haven't had any children, but we do have a cat named Chunk that we treat as if he were our child.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Getaway Weekends, Sick Kitty

Getaway weekends are so nice. Last weekend Steve and I took his mom to the airport in Tulsa and instead of turning right back around like we normally do, we reserved a room at the Doubletree downtown and turned it into a weekend getaway. We went to the Tulsa Zoo for a few hours after dropping his mom off at the airport, to Bennigan’s for lunch/dinner before checking into the hotel (Dave, I did indulge and have a Monte Cristo sandwich, but paired it with a side salad instead of fries), and saw the Tulsa Talons lose an arena football game that evening. We slept in on Sunday (I just love those hotel drapes that block the light out) and went to lunch at Kilkenny’s, an irish pub in the historic Cherry Street district of Tulsa. Before returning home, we visited the Philbrook art museum in Tulsa. I’m not really that into art, but enjoyed it quite a bit. The house (or mansion) that it’s in is gorgeous as are the grounds with its landscaped gardens. I will return in the future when it’s cooler and just sit and read outside for hours. If you are in the area, it’s definitely worth a visit. It’s rated one of the top 50 art museums in the country and I had no idea it was even here until I started looking for things to do in Tulsa. We really had a great trip! I thoroughly enjoyed getting away with my hubby!

I’ll be taking another trip this coming weekend as well. I will drive to the small metropolis of Stratford, Oklahoma to visit my friend, Winter. I’m looking forward to spending some quality time with her and seeing where she is living and working now. We have tickets to go to the Beth Moore Living Proof Live conference in Oklahoma City on Friday night and Saturday morning. I’m really excited about that. My small group has done a few different Beth Moore bible studies in the past couple of years and it will be really great to see her again in person (I attended a Living Proof Live event in Kansas City last year). I checked out a couple of Max Lucado audio books from the OCC library to listen to on the way there and back so it should be a good weekend of spiritual renewal for me.

Steve will stay home with our baby, who we discovered had fleas on Monday. We force fed him a pill last night that was supposed to kill the fleas within 20 minutes. You could tell that those fleas were scurrying around the way Chunk was scratching. I felt so bad for him. We gave him a dosage of Advantage this morning and will continue to treat him for fleas on a monthly basis now that we’ve learned that this indoor cat is not exempt from getting fleas. He seems to be feeling much better this morning, but I think he’s still a bit scared of us. Every time he’d scratch, we’d rush over to him to try to remove the flea ourselves so that we could kill it before it jumped off the cat and into our carpet/bedding. I think he thought we were the ones inflicting pain on him. Bless his little heart. If I ache like this for my sick kitty, I can’t imagine what it will be like to have a sick child some day. My boss says “You’re going to be such a good mom” whenever I talk about my cat like this. My mom, on the other hand, exclaims “It’s just a cat!” like I’m some crazy cat lady (she hasn’t really embraced her first grandcat). Other friends and relatives would tell you that our cat is spoiled rotten! I honestly believe that having a cat has been good practice for when we become parents some day. I just worry about the day he is “replaced” with a real baby. We’ll deal with it when that day comes. For now, we’ll just enjoy our sweet little baby, Chunker, fleas and all!

45 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think there were enough hyperlinks on this post. Where are the links to "Steve" or "Chunk" etc. Nice post, except not enough links.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Steve and Chunk don't have any websites to link to. Steve thinks blogging is silly and Chunk, well, Chunk's a cat! Who am I talking to?

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who do you think, linkmaster?

6:30 PM  
Blogger Rose Fish said...

Have a great weekend and it is "just" a cat. You could write a book about your cat, Ha Ha Dave!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Anonymous,

I have no clue who you are. My anonymous posters usually sign their name at the end. Winter, is that you? My next guess would be Dave, but he usually isn't shy about signing his name to a teasing post. Hmmmm.....

10:09 AM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

Who is doing the anonymous writing? It's really annoying!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Dave Smith said...

I wish to make these points:

1. The Monte Cristo has about 37,000 calories, to throw in "I had a side salad instead of the fries" is like saying "I bought a Lamborghini ... it costs $300,000, but I buy regular unleaded instead of premium."

We all see through your veiled attempts to justify yourself. The change to a salad over fries reversed none of the effects of the MC. Take heart, it is a common with the Monte ... I call the technique Monte Cristification

On the bright side, you didn't have them deep-fry your salad.

2. If you return to the Philbrook in cooler weather, be sure to take along a good book to read. May I suggest a little book found at TheDaveSmith.com?

3. There are 50 art museums in the United States ... why? (jk)

4. Glad you clarified to others that Chunk was not a child. Mental images of a flea-invested child were probably racing through people's minds (given the readership of 1.2 million). Could a visit from the child health services have been far behind?

4. Hard to believe as it is (yes, I am saying this) I agree with Aunt Rose, it's just a cat. By the way, raising a cat is good practice for raising a child ... you know, if you plan on the child growing up to be a sociopath (see definition)

5. Finally, as evidenced by this post, I am clearly NOT Anonymous

12:44 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Dave, I did lose 2.6 pounds this week even though I indulged in a Monte Cristo sandwich. I would agree that the sandwich is very high in calories, but it would've been even worse with fries! Way to plug your book again! :-)

Greg, are you Mr. Anonymous? This anonymous thing is getting ominous.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

Ah, you guessed it! I did the unthinkable deed of posting anonymously. It was pretty easy to figure out, but it took you a while.

Dave's book is a very good read. I am close to finishing, and then I treat it more fully on my blog.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I thought there was some psycho stalking me on my blog. I'm impressed that you had a link in your comment! You are way better than me! Thanks for fessing up.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess I had to learn how to do links in comments after I saw cousin Dave do it.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Dave Smith said...

It means all the world to me that I have been able to challenge you to better yourself by learning how to link ... however, be careful, you don't want to over-link or to be excessive in your overall linkage!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, constantly referring to me as cousin Dave makes you sound like Balky from Perfect Strangers. Really no need for such titles!

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you hate when people put foolish and unnecessary posts on your blog?

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate this too!
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):(

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Dave, you non-cousin. You are now officially banned from this here blog. Go pester someone else, like Greg or something. I've about had it! It was cute at first, but then...ah, anyway, just leave, alright!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

Carrie! Go easy on Balky there. Lighten up.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Please note that the last Charissa comment does not have a picture next to it which means that the real Charissa did not post it. She would not do such a thing. Dave, are you doing all this? You and Greg are freaking me out!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

Hint: To figure out the culprits, look at the time signatures.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

So Dave did the three following his most recent post and you did my fake post? You guys are good! I didn't even think to look at the timestamps. I'm stupid and you guys are mean. I forgive you, though. How did you do that, by the way?

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are family, I got all my sisters and me

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

None of these comments relate to the actual post. It was a very nice post- very enjoyable. The comments have been even more fun, though. The secrets of linkage will come to you in time...if you are worthy of them.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

None of these comments relate to the actual post. It was a very nice post- very enjoyable. The comments have been even more fun, though. The secrets of linkage will come to you in time...if you are worthy of them.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Hey, Winter! I'm getting good at figuring out who these anonymous posters are, aren't I?

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am tired of your brother ... what a complete pain in the neck he is. He thinks he is so funny, but he's not. However, your cousin Dave seems very witty and erudite. Has he written a book that I might read to gain more insight into his brand of off-beat humor?

1:13 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Is that really you, Winter or is that Cousin Dave disguising himself as Winter? This is why some blogs don't allow anonymous posts!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winter,

Although I am flattered by your comments regarding my wit and humor, please withdraw your comments about Greg. I wish I was more like that guy, talk about funny! And smart on top of it! He should be the one with a book deal. My book is offbeat humor, yes, but he could write something that really impacts society. My book pales in comparison to the deep insight of Greg Fish.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I'm not trusting what anyone writes on this post unless there is a picture attached to it! Dave, where's your picture and why don't you post as a blogger?

12:31 PM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

No, Dave. I think your book is great! It's humorous AND insightful. It's much better than anything that I could write. Don't beat yourself up so much. We love you!

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, when you pose as someone, you should give the entire context of that someone. (i.e. Maher-shalal-hash-baz Meaning: plunder speedeth; spoil hasteth (Isa. 8:1-3; compare Zeph. 1:14) a name Isaiah was commanded first to write in large characters on a tablet, and afterwards to give as a symbolical name to a son that was to be born to him (Isa. 8:1, 3), as denoting the sudden attack on Damascus and Syria by the Assyrian army.)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I'm just going to let this die! You guys are nuts. You know who you are!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Dave Smith said...

Huh? I haven't posted for days on your site ... what's been going on?

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he, he, this is funny!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

Carrie, cool! The president is one of your blog readers, that's awesome!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Dave Smith said...

Yeah, where does he find the time and why won't he come to my blog ... I'm from his home state? I guess word gets out when someone writes such an inspiring blog as to get 35 comments in one week ... impressive. Plus, it appeals to the masses: a president, a 70's disco group, 2 characters from an old Schoolhouse Rock song, a thought-to-be-long-dead biblical character (not to mention humble family members such as, well me)

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I haven't got to chime in here in a while. I've been busy trying to become a LAW.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Grow up Greg!!!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Good job, Emily. It looks like you finally put an end to this silliness!

Dave, I would love to take credit for the popular post, but it was actually the anonymous comment that started all of this. It was funny when it started, but Greg doesn't know when to stop. :-)

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Greg) said....

I'm sorry Carrie. I let my anonymous blogging get out of control. I was just so jealous of Winter's page. Now, she is a blogger!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

Who goes there? Winter, Dave, or Carrie? Whoever you are, you are a very cool cat.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I'm trying to figure that out myself. I think Winter is up to no good now. She claims she didn't post the sister sledge comment, which I was certain she did. Does anyone else want to fess up to that one?

11:25 AM  
Blogger Dave Smith said...

I know Sister Sledge and sir, you are no Sister Sledge ... that was me! As were one or two others

Just for memories sake, with a tip of the cap to my cousin Greg:

Boy: Woof! You sure gotta climb a lot of steps to get to this Capitol Building here in Washington. But I wonder who that sad little scrap of paper is?

Bill: I'm just a bill. Yes, I'm only a bill. And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill. Well, it's a long, long journey oo the capital city. It's a long, long wait while I'm sitting in committee, but I know I'll be a law someday at least I hope and pray that I will, but today I am still just a bill.

Boy: Gee, Bill, you certainly have a lot of patience and courage.

Bill: Well I got this far. When I started, I wasn't even a bill, I was just an idea. Some folks back home decided they wanted a law passed, so they called their local Congressman and he said, "You're right, there oughta be a law." Then he sat down and wrote me out and introduced me to Congress. And I became a bill, and I'll remain a bill until they decide to make me a law.

I'm just a bill yes I'm only a bill,
And I got as far as Capitol Hill. Well, now I'm stuck in committee and I'll sit here and wait while a few key Congressmen discuss and debate
whether they should let me be a law.
How I hope and pray that they will, but today I am still just a bill.

Boy: Listen to those congressmen arguing! Is all that discussion and debate about you?

Bill: Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones. Most bills never even get this far. I hope they decide to report on me favorably, otherwise I may die.

Boy: Die?

Bill: Yeah, die in committee. Oooh, but it looks like I'm gonna live! Now I go to the House of Representatives, and they vote on me.

Boy: If they vote yes, what happens?

Bill: Then I go to the Senate and the whole thing starts all over again.

Boy: Oh no!

Bill: Oh yes! I'm just a bill yes, I'm only a bill and if they vote for me on Capitol Hill well, then I'm off to the White House where I'll wait in a line with a lot of other bills for the president to sign and if he signs me, then I'll be a law. How I hope and pray that he will, but today I am still just a bill.

Boy: You mean even if the whole Congress says you should be a law, the president can still say no?

Bill: Yes, that's called a veto. If the President vetoes me, I have to go back to Congress and they vote on me again, and by that time you're so old...

Boy: By that time it's very unlikely that you'll become a law. It's not easy to become a law, is it?

Bill: No! But how I hope and I pray that I will, but today I am still just a bill.

Congressman: He signed you, Bill! Now you're a law!

Bill: Oh yes!!!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

I hope you copied and pasted, and didn't just type all that from memory.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Dave Smith said...

uh, memory ... watched a lot of cartoons when I was a kid ... even remember Rufus Xavier Sasparilla and Albert Andres Armadillo ... I realize that it is both amazing and sad at the same time

8:24 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Dave. The reason I thought it was Winter was because we sang an altered version of that song as a praise song at the Beth Moore conference. This was fun, but confusing!

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home