A Glimpse Into My Life....

Blogging is a great way to keep people informed about what's going on in your life. It’s a central place that you can share information with several people at once instead of composing multiple emails or making numerous phone calls. That’s why I’ve entitled my blog “A Glimpse Into My Life…”. Those of you who have been invited to read my blog, please know that I want you to be a part of my life. Hopefully, this blog will enable me to stay in closer contact with the people that I love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Carl Junction, Missouri

I was born and raised in Chile, South America. My parents moved back to Joplin, MO my senior year of high school. I've lived in the Joplin area my entire adult life so Joplin is beginning to feel more like home, but it's really not home! I married my husband, Steve, in August of 1998. We haven't had any children, but we do have a cat named Chunk that we treat as if he were our child.

Monday, May 08, 2006

United 93

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this movie, but I decided to go see it more out of curiosity than anything. It was very well produced. It seemed that it's purpose was to remember those who died on September 11, 2001, specifically those aboard United 93, those who risked their lives to save the plane from crashing into the U.S. capitol. After the movie, I felt very sad, not just because of what happened, but because we have forgotten about it after such a short period of time. This movie really helps to put things in perspective. I remember how our country united and turned to God after the attacks of 9/11. It seems that the spirit of patriotism and the reliance on God have disappeared in a very short period of time. Now, not even five years later, we are fighting about who is to blame for everything and trying to take God out of everything. This movie did a good job of just presenting the facts. I don't believe there was any hidden agenda. I think it would do us all some good to remember where we were as a nation on that fateful day so I would recommend it not for entertainment, but for the purpose it was intended.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave Smith said...

Charissa,
Hey cuz, I appreciate the thoughts. I have been trying to decide whether or not I want to go see this movie. My mom (Aunt Jennie to you private) also mentioned that someone she knew had said similar things about it.

My worry is that it would exploit a terrible thing for people to personally benefit. I know that proceeds are being funneled in a charitable manner, but I still worry about people seeking notoriety though the movie. Plus, I tend to go to movies for the pure entertainment value ... to me they are a departure from reality. Thus, movies like this are not usually my "cup of tea." For instance, I was real iffy on going to see The Passion when it came out for this reason.

That all being said, I appreciate your thoughts on it. They encourage me to think more about going to see it. Thanks for the review. I took my friend, Terry, to see Mission: Impossible III for his birthday if you need a review for it.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Dave,

You nailed it! Watching this movie was much like watching The Passion at the movie theater. It wasn't quite as intense, but I left with a similar feeling. I went to see it with my friend, Winter, and it was really weird because I almost felt guilty transitioning back into "having a good time" mode after seeing the movie.

As far as your other concern, I honestly believe that they made the movie for the right reasons. I didn't always think that, but it wasn't your typical "Hollywood" movie. Sure, someone's going to make a buck or two out of the deal, but I don't think that was the purpose.

You know, I might suggest that you rent the movie instead of going to the movie theater to watch it.

On a lighter note, I took Kim to see Ice Age 2 for her birthday. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Now that's entertainment!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I case you were wondering why I deleted my first comment, my computer froze up and I posted twice on accident. Oops!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Dave Smith said...

Sure ... I'll bet it was actually an enraged movie usher cursing my post.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

I haven't seen it yet. But I'd like to. I heard that one of the reasons there weren't any A list stars on it was to create a "real" atmosphere, rather than a hollywood "Oh, I love that actor/actress (wait...female actor)."

Who of you is going to watch the DaVinci Code?

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home