A Glimpse Into My Life....

Blogging is a great way to keep people informed about what's going on in your life. It’s a central place that you can share information with several people at once instead of composing multiple emails or making numerous phone calls. That’s why I’ve entitled my blog “A Glimpse Into My Life…”. Those of you who have been invited to read my blog, please know that I want you to be a part of my life. Hopefully, this blog will enable me to stay in closer contact with the people that I love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Carl Junction, Missouri

I was born and raised in Chile, South America. My parents moved back to Joplin, MO my senior year of high school. I've lived in the Joplin area my entire adult life so Joplin is beginning to feel more like home, but it's really not home! I married my husband, Steve, in August of 1998. We haven't had any children, but we do have a cat named Chunk that we treat as if he were our child.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Friends

God has blessed me with some really great friends. This post is a tribute to those friends.

My friend, Winter, is in town this week and I’m looking forward to spending some quality time with her while she is here. I thank God that we have been able to strengthen our friendship over the last couple of months. After a period of separation, we’ve been able to get closer and connect on a deeper level. I’ve learned more about her in the last few months than I have the entire time we’ve known each other (almost 10 years – can you believe it, Winter?). I’ve always enjoyed hanging out with Winter, but I’ve loved the heart to heart talks we’ve started having on a regular basis. I hope it continues!

I meet with a small group of girls on a weekly basis. We started meeting at my friend Jill’s house a couple years ago. When she had her first baby and started preparing to go on the mission field, we started meeting at my house. The group has evolved over the years as two of the original members are serving as missionaries in Asia. Jill is getting ready to leave in September and she will be missed. I already miss her because she hasn’t been meeting with us regularly, but I will really miss her when she’s thousands of miles away! I know that God is going to use her in mighty ways and I’m very excited about partnering with her in this new adventure. Please be praying for Jill and Ryan as they are still trying to raise support to go to North Africa. They’ve sold their house, car and most of their possessions, but still haven’t reached 80% of their budget, which is needed before they can buy tickets. Jill has demonstrated her strong faith in God and displayed many other characteristics of a godly woman that I strive to imitate. Thank you, Jill, for your friendship. I don’t want to exclude the other members of our group. Amy, you have been a blessing in my life. I sure appreciate your sweet spirit. Debi and Shelly, I’m glad that you are a part of the group because you might actually stay in the Joplin area! I’m looking forward to getting to know you more in the years to come. Mandie, I’m so glad you joined us. I know you will benefit, as I have, from the accountability this group provides. Thanks to all of you!

One of my best friend’s from Chile, Ely, recently moved to Arizona. Her husband is working as a Spanish minister at a church in the Phoenix area. I called her up after not having seen her in almost 12 years and we’ve talked on the phone a few times since. It’s so nice to be able to pick up the phone and call her whenever I feel like having a conversation in Chilean Spanish! I hope I don’t drive her crazy. I have plans to travel to Phoenix in August to visit my grandparents and hope to spend some time with her as well. I look forward to rekindling our friendship and I’m so glad that God has placed her in my life again.

Through Ely, I’ve been able to make contact with some of my other friends from Chile that are living in the U.S. I never dreamed that so many of my friends would end up living in the U.S. or visiting as often as they do. God works in mysterious ways! It’s been difficult to stay in touch with people in Chile because our lives are so very different, but I love and miss the Chilean people. I feel blessed to have them here and so accessible. I hope to start developing closer relationships with them.

I also thank God for my boss, Cathleen, who is also a friend, mentor and support to me. She is an amazing woman and I’m learning so much from her, both from a work and spiritual standpoint. I realize how very fortunate I am to have her in my life.

Lastly, I want to say a few words about my younger sister, Kim. She is such a wonderful example to me. I know she’s younger than me, but I look up to her! She just turned 21 and will graduate college in a year. She has a heart for missions and is praying about where God will lead her after graduation. It makes me sad to think that she will be leaving for an indefinite period of time considering that we are just now becoming friends. I really want to take advantage of the time we have together and develop a closer relationship with her. We will be setting aside one day a month for the next year to do just that. I’m really excited about our bonding time, Kim.

I thought I was done, but I figured I should probably thank my husband, Steve. When I think of friends, I think of people outside of my household, which is why I didn’t think to acknowledge him sooner. Really, he should be at the top of the list because he is my best friend. He knows me better than anyone in the whole wide world and even though he may not always like what he sees, he still loves me (trust me, it’s not easy sometimes!). Steve, I really appreciate you for who you are. You are such a wonderful man and I feel very lucky to have married you.

I could go on and on thanking the many people God has surrounded me with, but I think I’ve written enough for one day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave Smith said...

What? No mention of me in your blog? I've made you mildly famous through the runaway best-seller "Life's too Short to Be an Underdog ... and Other Spiritual Life Lessons I Learned from My Dog" (still available at www.thedavesmith.com)

This will hurt your rankings in the "Dave's Favorite Cousins" list.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey so i took a break from my all-nighter to read your blog and started crying!!! thank you for your words...and i'm really excited about our bonding time too!!! i get so excited to see what's been happening in your life and the way God has been moving and your passion for Him. I am also thankful to have been here to chat with you through some of it!! This has been an answer to my prayers!!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Dave,

I was afraid someone might get their feelings hurt. Although I appreciate you giving me my claim to fame, need I remind you that you didn't really paint me in the most positive light? I believe your story to be slightly exagerated. I can assure you that your name will be featured in any future post entitled "Cousins".

Kim,

I'm sorry that I made you cry, but I'm glad it warmed your heart. I hope you got your paper done in time. Get some rest!

I need to get to work now. Have a great day!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Dave Smith said...

No problem ... lest I forget to mention it because of my obvious need for attention by trying to be funny ... I did enjoy the post and, while it did not make me cry like Kim, I was encouraged by your thoughts

11:54 AM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

No mention of me, either, and I'm a brother. I'll choose to become better, not bitter. Just kidding. Like our favorite cousin Dave, I try to be funny for attention.

BTW, Where's Winter's "yer mom" blog? I can't access it.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Winter,

That was funny! You know, I was trying to remember what happened to that table. I think I donated it to ASAP in Neosho when we opened that branch. I didn't have a place for it in my duplex. I could use it now. It was a weird table and a weird trip back to Joplin. That does sure seem like forever ago!

Greg,

I made the mistake that dad was careful not to make in his most recent post. Sorry! I love you too, but there is just something special about a sister. Plus, you are really making us look bad by kissing up to dad after we caused him to repent!

Winter didn't know that she could sign in as anonymous so she just set up the "Yer Mom" blog so she could leave me a comment. She hangs out on myspace.com. There is a link to her page in my post.

See you, guys!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home