A Glimpse Into My Life....

Blogging is a great way to keep people informed about what's going on in your life. It’s a central place that you can share information with several people at once instead of composing multiple emails or making numerous phone calls. That’s why I’ve entitled my blog “A Glimpse Into My Life…”. Those of you who have been invited to read my blog, please know that I want you to be a part of my life. Hopefully, this blog will enable me to stay in closer contact with the people that I love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Carl Junction, Missouri

I was born and raised in Chile, South America. My parents moved back to Joplin, MO my senior year of high school. I've lived in the Joplin area my entire adult life so Joplin is beginning to feel more like home, but it's really not home! I married my husband, Steve, in August of 1998. We haven't had any children, but we do have a cat named Chunk that we treat as if he were our child.

Friday, August 18, 2006

I'm praying that Earthlink is right....

About a month or so ago I received another phone call from AT&T offering us a great deal on DSL. We finally decided with the recent purchase of our laptop that we would make the switch from dial up. As they processed my order, I found out that we could also get wireless in our home for an additional one time cost of $30. I was so excited about the prospect of having a wireless, high speed internet connection. Our equipment arrived and we got it all hooked up and watched the DSL light flash repeatedly and then turn to a solid red. After troubleshooting the equipment as instructed, we called tech support because we concluded that we weren't picking up a DSL signal. The first person I talked to informed me that our order was pending and assumed that they hadn't provisioned our line yet. He gave me a reference number and had me call back the next business day. The next customer service representative that I talked to responded by telling me without a trace of sympathy that "we had been denied." How can you be denied something that was offered to you? It's not like I called and requested this service. They called me! They are still calling me! I think someone else in a different neighborhood of Carl Junction must have had our phone number at one point in time and that their area has DSL available. You can log onto the AT&T website to check to see if DSL is available in your area by entering your telephone number and when I enter mine, it shows that it is. When I enter our neighbor's phone number, it shows that DSL service is not available. After checking into high speed internet through our cable provider and determining that it was too expensive, my plan was to check my neighbor's number every so often until it appeared that we could try again. That is, until Wednesday when I received a mailing from Earthlink, our current dial up provider.

Earthlink was offering high speed internet service for $9 less than we are paying for dial up for six months. At the conclusion of six months, we would start paying the regular monthly rate, which is $8 more than what we are paying for dial up. Hmmmmm....that I could handle! I called the number on the ad and asked, "I assume that if we can't get DSL through AT&T, we probably cannot get it through Earthlink, correct?". She checked our number AND our address and responded that the system showed we do have DSL available. I explained to her what I've just explained to you, my readers, and she gave me a logical explanation as to why they could provide us with DSL when AT&T couldn't. While still a bit skeptical, I was assured that there would be no harm in trying. Earthlink, unlike AT&T, doesn't send any equipment out until they've provisioned the line. This, I was informed, would take 3-10 days. Once the line is provisioned, they would send out the equipment. Although I've been trying not to get my hopes up, I'm praying that Earthlink is right.

I've encountered several frustrations with my dial up connection in recent days. Have you all ever noticed how I never post any pictures on my blog? That is because I can't! Even after compressing my pictures, something goes wrong between the time I click upload and the time it tells me my pictures have been uploaded. I suspect this has to do with my internet connection.

My family has been pressuring me all week to upload the pictures I took in Arizona to Kodak Gallery. "It's so easy", they say. I would agree that the software is very user friendly, but I was stupid enough to think that I could upload all 122 pictures with the click of a button. Wrong! In about 15 minutes, I successfully updated one picture! Steve warned me about this, but I confess that I ignored him. I'm so sorry, Steve! You are so much smarter than me. I decided to quit uploading after my dad suggested I take my laptop to Hardee's or Panera Bread to use their free wireless internet connection. I also realized that I don't have to add all pictures that I want in an album at the same time. That's part of what led my to ignore Steve's warning. My albums had to be nicely organized! So, Greg, Emily, Mom, Dad, Kim, you are going to have to be patient with me. As dad used to say, "Patience is a virtue."

If my Sparkpeople friends are reading, I must take this opportunity to explain why I can't post alot from home. It takes several minutes to load our discussion thread!

Oh, how I long for high speed internet! I know it's a selfish prayer, but "Please, Jesus, give me high speed internet! I would be forever grateful and use the internet to be a witness to your awesome power over the smallest details of our lives."

13 Comments:

Blogger hector ramirez said...

OK.No es por ser pesimista pero esta es mi historia con earthlink. Es largo pero 100% real.

El 5 de marzo nos cambiamos de casa, una semana antes llame a earthlink para avisarles del cambio. Segun su website, si tu les avisas de antemano, ellos pueden asegurar que tu servicio va a ser activado en no mas de 15 dias desde el dia en que te cambias de casa. Es decir el dia 20 de marzo, es servicio debia haber estado activado. yeah right!
Aproximadamente el dia 30 de marzo recibi una notificacion de que el servicio estaba activado... trate de connectarme sin exito.
Llame al earthlink y me dijeron que debia esperar el menos 24 horas.
Despues de 36 horas aun no podia connectarme.
Llame y me "informaron" que el servicio aun no estaba conectado (?). Me dijeron que llamara en una semana.
Llame una semana despues y me dijeron que el servicio habia sido habilitado hace una semana.
Trate de connectarme... nada.
Volvi a llamar al dia siguiente, hable con otra persona diferente, como cada vez... me dijeron que todo estaba bien pero que tenia que cambiar me modem. Les dije que mandaran en modem.
Espere una semana y media por el modem... no paso nada.
Los llame al dia siguiente, esta vez ,bastante arto de la situacion. Me dijeron que el modem no habia sido enviado aun porque era necesaria una confirmacion de mi parte que yo realmente queria el modem. (WHAT!!!)
Los amenaze con cancellar el contrato y cambiar de proveedor... les dije que queria el modem en mi casa la manana siguiente, y si no que se olvidaran de mi.. y que no iba a pagar un centavo por el envio.
El modem llego la manana siguiente. Lo conecte.. no funciono.
Llame para cancelar el servicio, me dijeron que habia una cosa mas que hacer... enviar a un tech de la compania de telefonos para checkear los cables.
Dos dias despues, como por arte de magia, la connecion funciono.

Despues de todo esto, recibi un email de parte de earthlink pidiendo las disculpas del caso, y ofreciendome un regalo (a starbucks gift card) que nunca llego.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Rose Fish said...

Sorry Carrie, doesn't sound like Earthlink is very good. Sorry Hector, doesn't sound fun at all!!!!!!!!

Hector, we had a great time Sunday night with Roger and Nancy, spent two hours talking with them.

Rose

9:45 PM  
Blogger Rose Fish said...

Sorry, I was thinking Hector was Ricardo. Hi Ely and Ricardo, if you read this, that message was for you about Roger and Nancy. They are happy you are in AZ with them. Just ask Nancy for anything you need, she is ready to help in anything you need.
Love Rose

7:55 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Mom, do you know who Hector is? It's Tito!

Tito, anoche tratamos de conectar el servicio y no paso nada. Cuando les llame me dijieron que ya habian chequeado la linea y que todo estaba bien, pero que aun no habian activado el servicio. Se supone que lo iban a conectar antes de la medianoche. Esta mañana mi esposo trato de conectarlo antes de irse al trabajo y paso algo (no se que porque yo estaba dormida!), pero no reconocio el password. Vamos a ver lo que pasa esta noche. Ahora si estoy un poco mas dudosa. Gracias por compartir tu experiencia. Asi que ahora tienes tu servicio con Earthlink?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

Hola Hector, Tito, Rachel, Cary, Ely, Ricardo, Mamá, Roger, Jorge, Lupe, Eunice, Yanni, oh and hi Ferdinand.

2:16 PM  
Blogger hector ramirez said...

Si, me quede con ellos solo por que quiero mantener mi email.
Eso si, tengo que reconocer que mis experiencias con earthlink previas (al cambio de casa) habian sido positivas.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Greg, you crack me up! I thought it was funny too, but I actually resisted the temptation to tease mom about it. Can you believe it, mom? Tito, espero tener buenas noticias acerca de esto mañana.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Rose Fish said...

Thank you Carrie for trying to be nice, I won't say anything else to Greg. I did realize what I had done in bed last night and took care of it first thing in the morning. Hi Tito too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

For those of you following my DSL saga, I was informed by Earthlink this morning that "they are not able to offer us high speed internet". I felt like screaming, "Than why did you offer it to us even after I questioned your ability to do so?!". The other thing that really frustrated me is that they had indicated they wouldn't send any equipment out until the line had been provisioned. We got the equipment and tried to connect several times, called twice and now we have to mess with the hassle of sending our equipment back and making sure they refund our money to us. Neither SBC or Earthlink bothered to call us to let us know that our order had been cancelled either. We had to call them to find out. Not cool! At the end of my conversation, the lady asked me "So do you want to continue your dial up service with Earthlink?" I responded, "Unfortunately, it appears that that's my only option, but I'm not crazy about the idea." I'm tempted to call them back and insist that they give us 6 months free dial up like they offer new customers that purchase a Dell laptop. We called when we got our laptop and were told that it was only for new customers. We've had Earthlink service for over 6 years and are stuck with them for who knows how much longer! I apologize for venting, but I'm not too happy right now. Thanks for listening!

8:26 AM  
Blogger hector ramirez said...

Yep, that sounds like earthlink's customer service. ;-)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Thanks for sympathizing with me, Tito. After receiving an email today saying that they were moving me from DSL to a NEW dial up service AT MY REQUEST and telling me that they were sending me information on what I needed to do to SETUP my new dial up service, I called back and spoke with someone speaking broken English that couldn't really understand the point I was trying to get across. Whew, now that was a run-on sentence! I told him that it was obvious that there records had not been updated and that no one was communicating at Earthlink and asked if I could speak with a supervisor. The supervisor was more apologetic and told me that she was going to credit me the early termination fee of $149 (I told her she was lucky she found that before I did!) and the $19.95 equipment charge. She also gave me a credit for 3 months of dial up service at $21.95 and is signing us up for a dial up promo deal of $9.95 per month for 6 months. So, we got $138 dollars out of the deal! It was worth it for that. I told her that I was a happy customer again. I'm still wishing I could have high speed internet, but glad that I got the last 3 months of dial up for free and that I'll only be paying $9.95 for the next 6 months. Thank you, Jesus! I just pray that there aren't any suprise charges on our bill.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Gregory Fish said...

Sorry 'bout the internet thing.

But, I've been misunderstood. I was just saying hi to all those people. They are all faithful readers of Carrie's blog, especially Yanni. They just never comment.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Tracie and Ricky said...

Charissa, thanks for writing and for reading our blog. i think i'm figuring this comment thing out. hopefully you get this. the family visiting from Chile is the Shaders, Hal and Chrisie and their kids and Hal's parents, plus Chad and his son missionaries from Lautaro.. Do you know them? They're here for vacation and are taking a day or two to spend with us and see the work here.
Anyway, it's nice to hear from you and know that you are praying for us and are sharing the vision and need for prayer with others too!take care

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home